Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Words of Encouragement

I just read this on Mike Colón's blog tonight. Mike is an incredible wedding photographer, and in high demand. His post is a fabulous encouragement to me, and I hope to you as well (it is applicable in FAR more than photography).

Right now, there have been some developments with J and I, that have been very surprising. I'll explain more later when we have more details to share, but it has really reminded that Christ is our true provider, and that God works out everything in his perfect timing (and often so contrary than we would ever think!!)
I hope you are encouraged, with that, I'll turn it over to Mike Colón.

This post goes out to all of you wedding photographers and business owners just starting out. I'm not sure why I felt like talking about this tonight but I just want to give some words of encouragement to those of you currently struggling with where you are right now in your photo biz.

My wife and I have been through a lot these past 8 years. We've experienced probably every emotion that exists to mankind. We've cried together, danced with joy together, stressed out together, and have spent many hours on our knees praying for miracles in our business.

I remember one occasion very clearly. It was about 6 years ago when Julie and I were newlyweds. We were having an extremely rough month financially and I remember being totally stressed out because nothing seemed to be working no matter how much we tried. I was racking my brain for marketing ideas and was seriously getting to a place of desperation because we did not have nearly enough money to pay our bills which were due in a matter of days. I just remember pacing around in the bedroom of our small apartment feeling like I was going to lose it completely and have a nervous breakdown.

God must have known that I was at my wits end because all of the sudden I realized something. I was trying to do everything on my own without asking God for help. I remember grabbing Julie and telling her we need to pray. We got on our knees beside our bed (using pillows because I had a feeling we'd be there for a while) and started praying. We didn't pray for help as much as we prayed for forgiveness for forgetting who our provider is. It was like He was saying, "I am your provider, stop trying to play my role. Give me your business and I'll take care of everything. You can rest now."

Now this is the cool part... As we were praying, the phone rang. Now you'd think I wouldn't answer the phone during such an intense prayer session, but I kinda knew that I should answer it and sure enough it was a bride calling to book. This was just the first one. Over the next 48 hours we booked 4 more weddings. It was absolute craziness and I'll never forget how God intervened in our life that weekend.

It seems that every time I try to push forward on my own and forget to trust God, I get nowhere. Looking back now, it has always been those times when I give up and rely on God that stand out as times when our business grew by leaps and bounds.

The moral of this story is to simply give up and trust God. He'll take care of you!

I love this scripture in Matthew 6:19-34

"Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

"Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. But when your eye is bad, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is!

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

"That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

"And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

"So don't worry about these things, saying, `What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

"So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today.

1 comment:

Joab Meyer said...

sorry but I do not know your email or I would send you an email! You guys have been on our hearts and in our prayers. It is good to know that often we need to be looking for a pillow to pray on and not just the simple answers! God is with you and mighty to save- Emily Meyer